FLSA Status: Non-exempt, scheduled 150 hours over 10 weeks
Reporting Relationships: Reports to the Director of Operations
About GoggleWorks Center for the Arts
GoggleWorks is a place to develop skills, ask questions, experiment freely, and investigate the human spirit. Here we create a dialogue between the established and the experimental, the contemporary and the traditional. Through exceptional arts education and engaging community programming, we inspire people to expand the boundaries of art making, personal growth, social justice, and appreciation for material culture. GoggleWorks supports aspiring, emerging, and established artists through year-round arts education; including workshops, classes, visiting artists, residencies, summer camps, studio access, and exhibitions. Additionally, GoggleWorks offers a robust schedule of outreach programs and special events.
GoggleWorks’ mission is to transform lives through unique interactions with art.
Job Summary: The City Canvasser will be responsible for carrying out the surveying of residents in a radius around GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, located at 201 Washington Street, Reading, PA. The canvasser will interview community residents to better inform GoggleWorks staff of thoughts and feelings of the immediate community as it relates to future GoggleWorks campus development. Canvassers will use prepared interview questions. Canvassing experience is not required, but candidates must have a strong desire to directly engage with members of the community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Using provided interview questions, canvassers will effectively engage residents through door-to-door conversations. They will learn if residents are familiar with GoggleWorks and their thoughts on participation in future programs.
- Submit daily interview and data results
- Work with the Canvass Supervisor to ensure that canvass goals are met
- Make adjustments to canvass tactics as instructed by canvass leadership
- Represent the organization with professionalism and ethical conduct
Competency Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required
- Ability to engage the general public
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and problem solving
- Excellent oral communication skills in English and Spanish
- Passion for GoggleWorks’ mission and community
- Ability to work flexible hours including daytime, evenings, and weekends
- Previous canvass experience is helpful, but not required as training and coaching will be provided to all employees
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are necessary
- Ability to learn quickly and recall details
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Required to travel to and from the GoggleWorks campus and/or various locations in the city.
- Ability to travel throughout a half mile radius without a vehicle for five hours per day.
- Must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
To Apply: Contact Jamie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
GoggleWorks Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief. Employment decisions are made without consideration of these or any other factors that are prohibited by law.