Schedule: Part time, Non-exempt, scheduled approximately 24 hours per week, dependent on availability
About GoggleWorks Center for the Arts
GoggleWorks is a place to develop skills, ask questions, experiment freely, and investigate the human spirit. Here we create a dialogue between the established and the experimental, the contemporary and the traditional. Through exceptional arts education and engaging community programming, we inspire people to expand the boundaries of art making, personal growth, and appreciation for material culture. GoggleWorks supports aspiring, emerging, and established artists through year-round exhibitions; including Irvin & Lois E. Cohen Gallery, Rolf & Renate Schmidt Gallery, and other ancillary exhibition spaces throughout the campus. Additionally, GoggleWorks offers a robust schedule of community programs and special events; including Arts Festival Reading, monthly Spotlight Nights, and our After School Arts Program. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team.
GoggleWorks’ mission is to transform lives through unique interactions with art.
The Gallery Manager is responsible for facilitating a range of gallery functions: handling artworks, hanging works, planning and coordination with exhibitions committee, communicating and coordinating with artists, and other activities as assigned. Under the direction of the Artistic Director, the Gallery Manager manages the day-to-day operations of GoggleWorks’ galleries while continuously analyzing for improvement.
Essential Job Functions
1. Handle and manage artwork
- Manage the intake
- Safe and efficient storage of artwork leading to and following exhibitions
- Manage GoggleWorks art and history collections
2. Manage gallery shows and contracts
- Manage Exhibitions Committee materials for jury and selection
- Prepare exhibition contracts
- Communicate exhibition logistics with artists and exhibition partners
- Connect to the art community and seek applicant leads for exhibitions
3. Uphold GoggleWorks’ exhibition standards
- Prepare all shows for online gallery representation
- Restore and prepare all gallery surfaces for installation
- Uphold the overall aesthetic of the studio space by meeting hanging and tagging standards
- Facilitate exhibition openings
- Manage gallery, exhibitions, and artist website content
4. Be an engaged team member to promote personal growth and development of best practices in the department
- Attend meetings, trainings and key program events as determined by program staff
- Respond to emails and approval requests in a timely manner.
- Maintain positive interactions in promotion and retention of GoggleWorks programs and activities
- Keep regular and consistent weekly hours and make the schedule available to all staff and administration.
- Actively engage in brainstorming and review exercises
Competency Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Proficiency (either through education and/or experience) to effectively engage artists
- Time management, organizational and planning skills
- Ability to elevate the performance of those around them
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and problem solving as related to effective management
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Passion for GoggleWorks’ mission and community
Education and Experience:
- 2 years gallery experience preferred
- Experience working with diverse and underserved audiences desired
- Familiarity with Google Drive / Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word)
- Experience with WordPress preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Required to travel to and from the GoggleWorks campus and/or various locations in the city.
- Occasionally required to lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
To Apply: Send your resume, and cover letter as a PDF attachment with subject line “Gallery Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GoggleWorks Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief. Employment decisions are made without consideration of these or any other factors that are prohibited by law.